Here's a good, short video on the Berlin Wall from formation to tear down (7.5 minutes). Some of the most interesting moments is right after the wall was erected and the film of people standing on either side trying to wave to family members or friends on the other side with white
scarves. In our world of immediate communication and instant gratification, it's hard to understand at first what these people are doing until you realize they can't communicate with people on the other side of the wall by phone or other means. In another scene, a man takes out the bricks from a window on the wall and jumps to freedom.
There is no narration, just music (which is a little melodramatic...).
Watch the video
Honors Study Abroad Resources
- Former Border Guards--comments from Manuela
- Berlin Wall Video
- More ideas for topic
- Berlin Questions and Topic
- Berlin in the news
- Discovering your topic in Berlin
- Schedule Update
- Border Discussion--4/09
- More thoughts on border assignment (from Shawn)
- Assignment: Seeing Borders in Seattle Due April 16...
- A Berliners Portraits of People and Her Familiar, ...
- In Berlin, Authors Find Their Voice
- ▼ April (12)