Saturday, August 29, 2009
Final Showcase at the Maxim Gorki Theatre/Berlin
BERLIN BORDERS: IDENTITY FORMATION AFTER THE WALL
Friday, August 28, 4:00-5:45 p.m., Maxim Gorki Theatre
University of Washington, Seattle, Honors Program, Summer 2009
In collaboration with Humboldt University, Berlin, Maxim Gorki Theatre-Berlin, and the University of Bilgi, Istanbul, this showcase presents the culmination of four weeks in Berlin and Istanbul. During the month of August, the program explored the concept of borders (and walls) through the lenses of art and literature as employed by writers, filmmakers, performers and visual artists. The showcase, inspired by workshops with Maxim Gorki and educational director, Janka Pankus, is live performance, dance, original music composition, spoken word, and multimedia presentations with a focus on city as text/city as performance as seen through the eyes of 21 students from the University of Washington, Seattle.
How do we tell the story of the city? How do we record memory? What is "our" story? What is "your" story of the city?
Professors Shanga Parker, Drama Department & Shawn Wong, English/Creative Writing, UW Seattle.
Dr. Julie Villegas, University Honors Program, UW Seattle
Program co-instructors, Humboldt: Manuela Mangold, American Studies & Tobias Temme, American Studies
Special thank you to American Studies, Humboldt University, Maxim Gorki Theatre-Berlin, and the University of Bilgi, Istanbul.
1. Natalia Valle, Molly Slusher, Cassie Hoeprich
2. Elroy An, Katie McCorkell, Kelsi Jensen, Sally Neumann
3. Lauren Nuxoll & Adam Farley
4. Fan Lee, Amy Van, Daniel Kashima
5. Lauren McKnight, Michael Phan-Ba, Muhammed Idris
6. Catherine Eisenhauer, Robert Frankle, John O'Meara
7. Joe Kim, Anna Lee, Trang Le
Posted by Julie Villegas at 11:39 AM
Honors Study Abroad Resources
- Final Showcase at the Maxim Gorki Theatre/Berlin
- Turkish Soccer Club in Berlin--Tuerkiyemspor
- Final Write-up--Due Sept 30
- Drama Workshop at Maxim Gorki Theatre
- Performing the city
- Movement Workshop, University of the Arts, Berlin
- Week 3 Portraits
- Reading the City
- City as Performance
- City as Art
- more photos...
- at the "beach" berlin
- Metro Mime
- Art Spaces and Places around and about Neukölln
- Final Showcase Guidelines
- and more Istanbul...
- More Istanbul
- Berlin Second Week
- more week 1-Berlin
- Berlin First Week
- Berlin Group Day 2
- ▼ August (27)